|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Roman, Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery fragments were found from the 1970s to 1992 on what is now partly a garden centre. Also found were pieces of medieval millstone and a possible copper alloy ring. Metal detecting in January and February 2010 recovered a medieval crucifix.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 92 19|
|Parish:||MILEHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1970. Field walking.
Ipswich Ware, Roman base sherd; lava millstone fragments, and three hone fragments that could be Late Saxon, medieval or post medieval were recorded.
Information from (S1) and (S2).
May 1978. Five Ipswich Ware sherds, three others possible, six medieval sherds, two post medieval and three unidentifiable in eastern part of site.
A. Rogerson and C. Dallas (NAU).
First half 1992.
Part of site now a Nursery. Several finds.
One bodysherd Ipswich sandy.
Two bodysherds Thetford-type.
Two bodysherds medieval unglazed.
One bodysherd Glazed Grimston.
No significant metal detecting finds.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 23 July 1992.
Early 1992. Metal detecting. Western (garden centre) part of site.
Middle Saxon to medieval pottery.
Roman and medieval metalwork.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 29 September 1992.
January / February 2010. Metal detecting.
Medieval crucifix terminal.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 March 2010.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CRUCIFIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Early Saxon. Mileham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Wade-Martins, P. 1980. Fieldwork and Excavation on Village Sites in Launditch Hundred, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 10. p 41. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1972. Medieval Britain in 1970. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XV (for 1971) pp 124-179. p129. |
Related records - none
Find out more...