Record Details

NHER Number:7158
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Stibbard

Summary

The tower and nave belong to the early Norman period. The present bell stage is of the 14th century as is the north aisle with its fine arcade and the chancel. Perhaps the most important feature of this building is the east window, which is of five lights in cusped 'Y' tracery with a quarefoil at its head.

Inside large quantities of reused stone can be seen, such as an angel-carved corbel now in use as an image niche, but where the stone came from is unknown. The mid-15th century painted dado screen remains, and a number of 14th to 15th century fragments of stained glass in the chancel north window.

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9830 2842
Map Sheet:TF92NE
Parish:STIBBARD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Tower and nave Saxo-Norman. Main structure of church around 1340 with very important east window; belfry added to tower. Perpendicular windows inserted, and north sacristy now demolished. Part of chancel probably rebuilt in 18th century, then again in late 19th century at time porch was rebuilt and nave altered. Large quantities of reused stonework in these alterations may not belong to this church.
See (S1) in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 12 July 1994.

November 2005.
Second visit during repairs to church confirmed there were two periods of 19th century alteration, one around 1800, on in the 1860s which is stated to be by Butterfield.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 November 2005.

January 2015, Survey
This report covers principally the chancel, north aisle and tower. The tower is late 11th century originally with rubble quoins covered up to the west by added post medieval buttresses. Remains of narrow bell openings below the present 14th century bell stage. This makes the tower one of the very few square west towers of this period with the rule in the region being to have round towers. Nave south wall largely of this date with a blocked double -splayed window. The north aisle has undergone several transformations having started with the north wall being originally 1.1 metres lower than at present. William Butterworth covered the whole north side with a catslde roof in 1861/2 rendering clerestory and 18th-century aisle roof redundant. The chancel has an impressive 5-light 'Y' traceried esat window. For further information see (S3)
S. Heywood (HES), 5 February 2015.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to Modern - 851 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9828A, B.
---Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South..
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. Norfolk Churches website.. Stibbard.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report..
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2005. Further Building Report.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S.. 2015. Report on All Saints Church Stibbard.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service