|Type of record:||Building|
The site of a post medieval water mill, marked on a map of 1797, in the parish of North Walsham. It had three storeys of timber framing and machinery, surviving until about 1980 when it was partially demolished. The masonry ground floor survived, however, and now has a new upper storey. The miller's house, a mid 18th century three storey brick building, is in the neighbouring parish of Swafield.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2841 3197|
|Parish:||NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|SWAFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Watermill (marked as disused on 6 inch Ordnance Survey map).
E. Rose (NAU).
Marked on Faden's map of 1797 (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
Listing (S2) 1986 notes mill, which stood in North Walsham parish, is demolished but miller's house (in Swafield parish) grade II; mid 18th century, brick, black glazed pantiles, three bays, three storeys; central pedimented doorway. Sash windows. Corner pilasters. Two symmetrical stacks to hipped roof. Early 19th century rear extension leads to two storey granary of same date, with loading doors on each floor.
House has staircase with wreathed handrail and square bannisters.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.
The house has horizontal skintlings to the bricks; the original Sun fire insurance document at the mill is dated 1775, this is therefore an important example. There is stated to be a reused brick inscribed 1661. The ground floor of the watermill survives, of masonry; it had three storeys of timber framing, and machinery, surviving until 1980 or so. It now has a new upper storey. Millstones forming a path are mostly from elsewhere.
In a flower bed between the house and the mill is a cross base, with stop angles, set upside down and with the underside hollowed out. It is known to have been here since at least 1947. Measured sketch (S3) and photograph (S4) by  in file. Correspondence (S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 March 2003.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 684. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049956. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|<S4>||Photograph: 2000. Old Mill House, Swafield. |
|<S5>||Correspondence: Rose, E. (NLA). 2003. Letter to G. Leech. 26 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...