Record Details

NHER Number:6806
Type of record:Building
Name:St James' church, Southrepps

Summary

St James’ church is a large church with one of the tallest towers in the county, visible for miles around. This impressive flint and stone church originally had aisles to the north and south, and in its heyday may have been one of the largest in the county. The tower dates from the mid 15th century, and is highly decorated, often thought by writers to be one of the most beautiful in Norfolk.
Unfortunately the long aisles were demolished in 1791, though the arcades in the nave are still clearly visible. Restorations in 1875 and 1908 have resulted in very little surviving from the medieval period, although there are details on the mouldings on and around the priest’s door that date to around 1320. The roof beams are still fresh and warm looking, despite being installed in 1908, and seem thoroughly in keeping with a church that is obviously in active everyday use.

Images

  • St James' Church, Southrepps. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott
  • The roof of St James' Church, Southrepps. The roof was constructed in 1908. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2568 3679
Map Sheet:TG23NE
Parish:SOUTHREPPS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Early 14th century with very fine mid 15th century tower and alterations. Aisles demolished 1791. Church restored 1875, 1908.
See report in secondary file.

Newspaper cuttings (S1), (S2), (S3) and (S4) in file.
See (S5).

1993. Excavation.
Carried out on the north side of the church of St James, revealed evidence for Norman church probably of 11th or 12th-century in date. Fragments of reused dressed and decorated limestone were located in the footings of the aisle relating to 18th century demolition.
See report (S6) in secondary file and information taken from (S7).
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1984 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 8 July 2013.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
  • PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • QUERN (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report..
---Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1994. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1993. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt I pp 115-123. p 121.
---Leaflet: St James Church, Southrepps..
---Unpublished document: Yardley, C.J.. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project.. p 12.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Row as 'ski slope' church extension is turned down. 9 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Church extension battle continues. 13 November.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Photograph: CLY35-5, FZQ, FZR.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. £16,000 to restore church bells. 1 March.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Work begins on bells at Southrepps. 30 April.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Village bells ready to ring 'full-circle' again. 19 September.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Bell dream comes true. 14 March.
<S5>Illustration: Ladbrooke. c.1830.
<S6>Unpublished document: Percival, S.. 1993. NAU Report No. 95. Excavations at St. James' Church, Southrepps..
<S7>Article in serial: Nenk, B. S., Margeson, S. and Hurley, M. 1994. Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1993. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII pp 184-293. p236.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service