Record Details

NHER Number:6803
Type of record:Building
Name:St Michael's Church, Sidestrand

Summary

St Michael's Chruch may appear to be a late medieval parish church, but the current building does in fact date to 1881. It is a copy, using much of the original materials, of the original parish church, the majority of which was moved earlier in the 19th century due to the advancing tides.

Most of the south porch is derived from the original, as well as a perpendicular style (1350-1539) chancel arch and a 15th century cross in the nave east wall. The tower is apparently to the original design, octagonal and embattled. Inside, there is Jacobean panelling in the chancel and pulpit, and an organ case dating to around 1800.

Images

  • St Michael's Church, Sidestrand. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2595 3971
Map Sheet:TG23NE
Parish:SIDESTRAND, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Built 1880 with materials brought from NHER 6797.
See that record for details.

March 1978. Visit.
Tower however is a copy of 1881 of the one that fell in 1840. East window all of 1881, the others early Perpendicular from old church except for two in chancel Y-tracery, apparently original. Perpendicular chancel arch. Ogee angle piscina in sedilia in southeast window. Most of south porch original. Figure of angel or saint now set over south door, the 15th century cross in nave east wall. Stone coffin lid (with another with foliate cross) in tower, together with the font - massive with panelled stem. Piscina now in nave southeast corner. Jacobean panelling in chancel and pulpit. Organ case around 1800. War memorial using Renaissance niche bought in an antique shop and adapted by Seely and Paget. Hatchment. Royal Arms George IV after Irish Union. Chalice, Norwich 1567 (inscribed 1593) Dutch wafer box. Gable cross and tracery fragments lie outside east wall, gargoyle outside north.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 March 1978.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 157-162.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 664.
---Illustration: Postcard. Sidestrand Church. Jarrolds' Series No. 84..
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Churchyard tidy-up gives pupils a view into history. 28 May.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service