|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Stump Cross, remains of medieval cross|
Stump Cross is the remains of a medieval cross. The base was dug up from this site by roadworkers in 1932, and the shaft was retrieved from Trunch rectory garden and set on top. The base is a square plinth, splayed to the ground, and the shaft is around 1.2m high, chamfered at the corners, and retains the remains of a socketed tenon on top.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2622 3642|
|Parish:||SOUTHREPPS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Base dug up here by roadworkers 1932; shaft retrieved from Trunch rectory garden and set on top.
14 March 1978. Site visit.
Base is a square plinth splayed to ground.
Shaft around 4ft (1.2m) high, chamfered at corners, remains of socketed tenon on top. Covered in moss and lichens.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 March 1978.
Schedule in file.
June 1999. Works in progress to place cross on a plinth.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 June 1999.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Yardley, C.J.. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project.. p 12. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Southrepps. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 325-326. |
Related records - none
Find out more...