Record Details

NHER Number:6639
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, North Barningham or Barningham Norwood

Summary

A medieval church consisting of a west tower, nave, chancel, north aisle and north porch, roofed in slate and tile. The earliest parts of the building are the west and south nave walls which are probably 11th century, followed by the early 13th century chancel and then the early 15th century north aisle. The tower and north porch were added in the late 15th century, and the whole church was thoroughly restored in 1893. Inside are a fine sedilia and piscina, together with a unique tiling and stone inlay pattern in the shape of a rose window on the nave floor. However, the most lasting impression is provided by the monuments to the Palgrave family, who lived in nearby North Barningham Hall (NHER 6635).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1506 3715
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
NORTH BARNINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
xGRESHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

3 February 1977. Visit. Listed building (S1)
As now standing, largely of the transition between Decorated and Perpendicular: large intersected south window, others under flat heads; transomed west window in tower, Perpendicular north arcade. Y tracery window in north aisle shows earlier work: either reset or else the arcade has been rebuilt. Sedilia and piscina with buttresses and pinacles inlaid. South exterior buttresses in brick stand on remains of larger flint predecessors. This may be connected with the damage that the church is said to have received in the 18th century, being restored in 1893. The north porch with niche is probably of this latter date.
The exterior appears to have been recently restored. Octagonal font. Church locked, and other internal features noted by (S2) but not visible through the windows are a rose window pattern in tiles and stone on the floor of the nave; monuments of 1611, 1621, 1639; brass of 1516; chalice 1768.
E. Rose (NAU),

[1] notes fossil quoins of Roman tile in south wall towards east end, and springing of Late Saxon window towards west.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 January 1983.

South wall of nave, fossil east quoins in Roman flat tile fragments and ironbound conglomerate. Some other Roman tile in other parts of walls. Two lumps of opus signinum visible in nave south wall.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 1 September 1995.

See extract from reference (S2) and photographs (S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • FLOOR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 17-24.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 619-620.
---Monograph: Palgrave, D. A.. 1974. St Peter's Church IN North Barningham, The Church, the Hall and the Palgrave Family. June.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 3; pp 50, 56-60.
<S3>Photograph: Batcock, N.. Pl. L, LXV and LXVI.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service