Record Details

NHER Number:6631
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ruins of St Helen's Church, East Beckham

Summary

The ruins of a 14th century church, originally consisting of a square west tower, nave, chancel and south porch. Records say that it was in ruins by 1602. The church was demolished in 1890, and some of the stone used to build West Beckham church.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 155 398
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:EAST BECKHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruinous.
Formerly had a chancel, nave and south porch, square west tower. Two bells recorded in 1552. Called ruinous in 1602 but still in use the following year when it had thirty communicants.
In 1890, when it was described as 'ruinous for over 200 years', it was demolished, and stone removed to build the new West Beckham church.
In 1900 the foundations were still visible with three old tomb slabs.
Appropriate section from (S1) in file.
(S2) records one wall 10m long and 0.75m high.

Site totally overgrown by trees. One fragment of wall about 30cm (1 foot) high seen, and traces of other foundations visible. Fragments of medieval brick and tile lie around.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 March 1977.

April 2004.
The church site has been surrounded by a 2m high wire fence and the footpath provided to it in 1988, when local footpaths were diverted, has been blocked with barbed wire and the bridge over the stream destroyed.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 April 2004.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 182-186.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 451.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Beckham (East).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 112; p 53.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 13 NE 1 [2].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service