|Type of record:||Building|
A restored 19th century watermill. A mill stood on the site in 1720, but it burnt down and was rebuilt by 1754. The 1754 building also burnt down and the present building was erected in 1802. It was restored during the 1980s and is a four storey brick structure with a roof of black glazed pantiles. The waterwheel and driving mechanism survive and work.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0621 3870|
|Parish:||LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Watermill. Marked by (S1). Now contains 1940 Ruston oil engine.
Said to have a hydraulic ram.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society 1981.
Present mill in existence 1720 (a mill known in village since 1384 but not known if same site).
Burnt down and rebuilt by 1754; burnt again and present building erected 1802. Last used 1945.
E. Rose (NAU), 20 June 1984.
September 1987. Listed, Grade II*.
Four storeys brick with black glazed pantiles; three gabled bays east and west, three wide bays north and south with wide sluices.
Each façade with three recessed panels with cast iron windows.
West façade with wheel opening, blank windows.
Water wheel and driving mechanism working - combined breast and undershot iron wheels with iron bucket paddle blades and two set stones.
See (S3) for the complete listing details.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 October 1987.
(S4) alters above to state that the mill was rebuilt after a fire in 1744, totally rebuilt in 1802 perhaps with the same machinery, and replaced again in 1827. The building Glavenside to the north was built as the millers house in 1800; the pedimented wall to the road may be the remains of an earlier house.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 January 1995.
Wall paintings of a windmill found. See (S5) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1995.
Press cuttings (S6) to (S7) in file.
- HYDRAULIC RAM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATER WHEEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1802 AD to 2100 AD)
- WATERMILL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1802 AD to 2100 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Keeping the mill wheels turning. 20 January. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Spotlight on elegant estate. 29 March. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 0638B. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 587. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Popular mill is top for tourists - again. 23 January. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Miller doubles capacity by laying down more stones. 10 May. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Crime-hit mill may close, says owner. 16 July. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. [Illustration of Letheringsett Mill]. 26 July. |
|---||Photograph: Miller, T.. Letheringsett Mill.. prints. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984-1991. [Articles on the restoration of Letheringsett Mill]. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049838. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Durst, D.. 1994. Letheringsett Mill.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, no 4, p 223. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Work's a grind, but fun. 6 February. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. A step back in time. 30 May. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Horses Harvey and Joe provide real flour power. 8 May. |
Related records - none
Find out more...