Record Details

NHER Number:58774
Type of record:Monument
Name:Remains of the Church of St Andrew, Roudham

Summary

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9563 8715
Map Sheet:TL98NE
Parish:ROUDHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1958. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
14th century. Flint with ashlar dressings. North-west tower, nave and chancel. Ruined. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses over porch. Arched roll chamfer mouldings to outer porch with external hood mould on head stops. Good inner arch of convex and roll chamfers without capitals. Window embrasure to second stage. 2-light windows to belfry showing remains of mouchette and Y tracery. Hollow chamfer string course below flushwork battlements. Large west window to nave with Y tracery. Various ruinous window openings to nave and chancel. Chancel continuous with nave. Empty east window opening. Priest's door in south chancel wall with arched outer opening displaying continuous wave mouldings. Stilted rere-arch. Wrought iron screen west of tower survives from 18th century. Scheduled as Ancient Monument, County Number 87.
Information from (S1).

November 1960. Site Visit. Scheduled Monument. County Number 87.
Description of Monument:
There are several modern graves (1955) in the churchyard but the church has been in ruins for many years. The ruins consist of a tower over the south porch, ehcih stands to full height. This is of flint with ashlar chimneys (dressings). It is of three stories, and contains original 'decorated' doorwats and a window with original tracery. The parapet is rebuilt in brick but there area several gargoyles. The church itself is an aisless building, the gable ends standing to full height and the walls to near the bay of the windows. The tracery in the west window and in the two windows in the tower is a Georgian 'gothic' restoration. There is an original medieval moulded doorway into the church (chancel).
Information from (S8).

1990. Field observation.
(S3)

1993. Found by workmen during repair of ruined St Andrew's church, in west splay of northwest window of nave.
A fragment of a Late Saxon grave slab turned around and re-worked on the reverse. The interlace decorated upper face is well preserved.
See (S1) in file.
The object is now on public display close to the church.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 4 July 2005.

1994. Site visit.
(S4)

1996. Field observation.
(S5)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • GRAVE SLAB (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • GRAVESTONE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Article in Monograph: Cushion, B., Fenner, G. and Davison, A. 1982. Some Deserted Village Sites in Norfolk: III. Roudham. Trowse, Horning, Deserted Medieval Villages,Kings Lynn. East Anglian Archaeology No 14. pp 48-59. pp 51-54.
---Serial: Blomefield, F. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol I. p 434.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1913. Hundred of Shropham. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 300-310.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 98 NE 2 [5].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 617.
---Photograph: 1990-3-6. Photographs of St. Andrews Church in deserted medieval settlement of Roudham.. Black and white, and colour.
---Illustration: Unknown. Drawings of the floor plan of St Andrew Church, Roudham.. Film. 50%.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [Photograph of the ruin of Roudham church]. 21 July.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170577.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England. Ancient Monuments Record Form.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 53; p 51.
<S4>Recording Form: Heywood, S. 1994. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Ruined church, Roudham.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 1996. The Church of St Andrew, Roudham, Norfolk. December.
<S6>Publication: Heywood, S. 1997. Church of St Andrew, Roudham.. October.
<S7>Unpublished Document: Shaw, J.M. (NCC). 1997. Church of St Andrew, Roudham.
<S8>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF515.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service