|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Packing case store, Former RAF Coltishall (Building 24)|
This storage building originally formed part of an aircraft machine-gun test butt, later modified for testing cannon.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2598 2276|
|Parish:||SCOTTOW, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
This storage building was constructed in 1960. It is a brick structure.
A. Cattermole (HES), 21 March 2013.
This building was constructed as a 40-ft machine-gun range and used for testing fighter aircraft machine guns against an angled bank of dry sand and a steel plate. At the beginning of 1942 it was altered for testing cannon, and the steel plate was removed along with the sand and shingle. In their place were seven brick walls built as brick bunkers in from of which was an earth bank. All of this has since been removed. In more recent times the building has been used to store the snow blowers used to clear the runway.
See (S1) for further information.
A. Cattermole (HES), 17 September 2013.
- FIRING RANGE (Modern to Cold War - 1938 AD? to 1960 AD?)
- STORAGE BUILDING (Cold War to Modern - 1960 AD to 2006 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 2013. RAF Coltishall: A Historical Appraisal. Part 9, Technical Buildings. pp 25-26. |
|7697||Part of: RAF Coltishall (Monument)|