|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Workshop/Theatre and battery charging bay, Former RAF Coltishall (Buildings 14 and 14A)|
This workshop was constructed in 1939. Adjacent is a battery charging bay.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2589 2290|
|Parish:||SCOTTOW, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
This workshop was constructed in 1939. Adjoined to its north-east corner is a battery charging bay of brick construction, added in 1989.
A. Cattermole (HES), 20 March 2013.
According to (S1) this shed was also known as the Field Force Mechanical Transport (FFMT) shed and was erected in the wake of the Munich Crises of September 1938 to store the mobile squadron's vehicles and all of its portable equipment should the unit be transferred to France. It is unknown when half of the shed was converted into a cinema, but it is thought to be around 1957. The first extension was added to this building in 1978 to accommodate the Ground Support Equipment Section. The second extension (a batter charging facility) was added in 1987 and a final extension was added in 1988 for link detached offices and a crew room.
See (S1) for further information.
A. Cattermole (HES), 16 September 2013.
- WORKSHOP (World War Two to Modern - 1940 AD to 2006 AD)
- CINEMA (Cold War to Modern - 1957 AD? to 2006 AD)
- CREW BRIEFING ROOM (Cold War to Modern - 1988 AD to 2006 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 2013. RAF Coltishall: A Historical Appraisal. Part 9, Technical Buildings. pp 14-17. |
|7697||Part of: RAF Coltishall (Monument)|