Record Details

NHER Number:59003
Type of record:Building
Name:Hangar 3, former RAF Coltishall (Building 3)

Summary

This aircraft hangar was constructed in 1939. It was damaged in a German bombing raid in August 1940, as marks on the southern hangar doors indicate.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2607 2288
Map Sheet:TG22SE
Parish:SCOTTOW, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

This aircraft hangar was constructed in 1939. It has the 6 Squadron badge on the front of the building and bullet holes in the southern hangar door.
A. Cattermole (HES), 20 March 2013.

The holes in the main doors on the southern end of Hangar 3 were the result of a German air raid at 1415h on 19th August 1940. Three bombs landed in the vicinity of Hangar 3, two of which crashed through the roof. These exploded inside the building and some of the marks on the doors were caused by splinters. The aircraft which carried out the raid was a Heinkel 111. Three local men working on Hangar 5 (which was never completed) were killed.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (HES), 17 June 2013.

The casualties were (S2):-
Lawrence Wilfred Stone, age 31, husband of Laura AM Stone, of Church
Cottages, Horstead
George Middleton, age 32, son of Harriet Middleton of White Horse St,
Wymondham
Sidney Alexander, age 55, son of Robert and Martha Rix, of 19 Salford St,
Heigham and husband of Maud Rix of Fairviews, Shorthorne Rd, Stratton
Strawless.
It is not yet known where they are buried or if they are commemorated on the war memorials where they lived.
D. Gurney (HES), 19 August 2013.

Monument Types

  • AIRCRAFT HANGAR (TYPE C) (World War Two to Modern - 1939 AD to 2006 AD?)
  • AIRCRAFT HANGAR (World War Two to Modern - 1939 AD to 2006 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Unpublished Document: Welton, J.. 2013. Sacrifice - Not Always In Uniform.
<S2>Verbal Communication: Paul Francis. 2013.

Related records

7697Part of: RAF Coltishall (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service