|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||60, 60A and 60B The Close|
A late 16th century L-shaped two storey flint and stucco house, now flats, with a central porched doorway. A medieval wooden spoon was found in one of its walls in 1956.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2359 0897|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former house, now flats. Late 16th century with 19th century refacing.
Flint, the west façade stucco. Pintile roof. L-shape corner site.
West façade: two storeys, two bays. Central doorway with porch having steep pitch tiled roof and decorated barge-boards.
One four and one three-light. Tudor mullion and transom windows at ground floor and three-light 'Tudor' frieze windows at first floor.
Crenellated parapet and north gable.
North façade: Fragment of gateway on corner.
One off-centre door with 16th century moulded surround.
Scattered 20th century mullion and ransom windows. (S1).
Wooden spoon, probably 15th century, found in a wall (dating between 1400 and 1538).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1981. Norwich Survey.
Two storey flint/rubble block with back wing of about 1600.
T. E. Miller (NLA), 14 July 2004.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1550 AD to 2050 AD)
- SPOON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|Site 1910||Parent of: 60 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1863||Parent of: 60, 60A and 60B The Close (Monument)|
|Site 2716||Parent of: 60a-c The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...