|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of South Gate|
The site of the southern gate in the Great Yarmouth town defences.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5252 0670|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
This is the site of the southern gate in the Great Yarmouth town defences. A wooden semaphore station once sat atop the south gates. This was the terminal of the Admiralty's telegraph network line from London to Great Yarmouth and was used to send naval commands from the Admiralty in London to the fleet stationed here.
See (S1) and illustration in file (S2).
W. Arnold (HES), 31 January 2011.
- GATE TOWER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEMAPHORE STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Illustration of Yarmouth Old South Gates.. |
|4294||Part of: Town wall and defences (Monument)|