Record Details

NHER Number:55867
Type of record:Monument
Name:Hempton Green Prisoner of War Camp

Summary

The site of the Second World War Hempton Green prisoner of war camp is visible on aerial photographs. Part of the site now lies under the Green Lane housing estate whilst the area of the prisoners' huts is occupied by a caravan park.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9107 2831
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:PUDDING NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 2011
The site of Hempton Green Second World War prisoner of war camp. The extent of the camp is visible on 1946 aerial photographs (S1). It comprised of a central enclosure containing the prisoners' huts, an eastern enclosure containing the exercise ground and sports pitches and a western area containing the guards' huts. It is listed as Camp Number 82 and described as a standard type German working camp in (S2). This source describes it as 'Class 2- Near Complete' survival, however comparison of the aerial photographs with current Ordnance Survey mapping suggests that no original structures survive. The western part of the camp has been replaced by the Green Lane housing estate and the area of the prisoners' huts is now a caravan park with mobile homes located on the sites of the former huts. The area of the exercise ground to the east is under arable cultivation. It is possible that the camp was used for temporary housing at the end of the war that was later replaced by the current housing on the site.
J. Albone (HES), 26 July 2011.

Monument Types

  • PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/50 6138 31-JAN-1946 (NHER TF9127A).
<S2>Publication: Thomas, R. (EH). 2003. Prisoner of War Camps (1939-1948).

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service