Record Details

NHER Number:55398
Type of record:Building
Name:East Dereham Railway Station

Summary

Constructed from 1844-6. Burnt down in 1988 but was rebuilt and is still in use.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9936 1307
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1980. Observation.
The majority of Dereham station remains. It is constructed of red brick in a vaguely Tudor style. The goods shed has a good internal wooden roof structure and is now used by the Holburn tyre company.
E. Rose (NAU).

November 1988. Fire at Dereham Station.
Dereham station burnt down in November, 1988. However, the goods shed used by the Holburn tyre company survives, as does a stables adjacent to it. This is a very rare example of a railway horse stable. The station was repaired after the fire, using a different roof pattern but retaining its ornate chimneys. In 2002 all of these buildings are the property of the Mid Norfolk Railway, which is to begin restoration. The line is now reopened from Wymondham to Dereham and work is progressing beyond.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 20 February 2008.

January - September 1989. Re-opening of Fakenham and Dereham line.
Work began in January 1989 on relaying the track from County School station, beginning with the section between North Elmham and Guist. The first locomotive arrived and was laid on the track at County School station on 24
H. Hamilton (NLA), 20 February 2008.

The station was part of a large industrial landscape in East Dereham. Once the station was built, malthouses, breweries, ironworks, engineers and mills sprang up to take advantage of it. Costing £10,000 per mile, the Wymondham - Dereham goods line was opened in 1846. It became a passenger station in 1847. In 1848 the Lynn - Swaffham line was extended to Dereham, joining it to the East Anglian Railway. Dereham - Fakenham line opened in 1849. Joined to the Great Eastern Railway in 1862. A spur line was added in 1886 to allow through running from Lynn to Wymondham. RAF VAPs from 1946 show the station mostly in the form that NIAS recorded it in 1970. Industrial sidings to the east exist at this time, however main sidings to the west not built yet. Google Earth images of the station show that only the North - South line remains. Industrial sidings to the east were removed and are now open land. The sidings to the west were also removed and are now being redeveloped. The line to Lynn was also taken up and replaced by the A47 road.
See (S1-2).
W. Arnold (HES), 12 April 2011.

(S3) On Saturday 22nd of October, the first through train on the Wymondham to Dereham ran for the first time since the line closed in 1969.
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 29 October 2012.


7th May 2013. Application no. 3PL/2013/0438.
Application for replacement footbridge at Dereham Railway Station.
See (S4) for further details.
A. Miller-Fik (HES), 4th June 2013.

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval to Modern - 1846 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: Breckland Council. 2013. Planning application for replacement footbridge at Dereham Railway Station..
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd. 2011. Infoterra and Bluesky Ltd 12-MAR-2011 (Google Earth TF 9936 1310)..
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Nostalgia is in the air as train makes rail history. 22 October.

Related records

13588Part of: Route of Wymondham to Wells Railway, including the Mid Norfolk and Walsingham Light Railways (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service