Record Details

NHER Number:6166
Type of record:Building
Name:Blakeney Windmill

Summary

The windmill here was known as Blakeney Mill. It was in existence by 1769 and had a domed cap, shuttered sails and three pairs of millstones. It had fallen derelict in 1912 but underwent temporary repairs in 1981.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0331 4395
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Windmill (known as Blakeney).
Known to exist in 1769 (and on (S1)); had domed cap, shuttered sails and three pairs stones. Derelict in 1912. Temporary repairs 1981, see (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 3 August 1981.

1981
4 photographs of the interior of the derelict mill showing the machinery including the under driven stones, the governor and crown wheel, see (S3).
A. Rix (HES), 14 August 2012.

Some history of the mill, giving details of the sale of the mill and associated buildings and the millers. See (S4), (S5), (S7).
A. Rix (HES), 14 August 2012.

Colour print of the mill with boarded windows and temporary cap, see (S6).
A. Rix (HES), 14 August 2012.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 0343/ B, C.
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 23 [2].
---Monograph: Apling, H.. 1984. Norfolk Corn Windmills. Vol I.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Temporary cap for windmill. 1 August.
<S3>Photograph: Hallam Ashley. 1981. Blakeney, Norfolk. Print, b&w.
<S4>Monograph: Smith, A.. 1982. Corn windmills in Norfolk: a contemporary survey.. p 14 and p 36.
<S6>Photograph: 1992. Blakeney Mill. print, colour.
<S7>Website: Neville, J.. 2004. Norfolk Mills - Blakeney Towermill.

Related records

MNO1093Related to: Blakeney Mill WIVETON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service