|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon or medieval undercroft|
In 1946 the flint foundations of a building were located here. Partial excavations subsequently identified the remains of a vaulted undercroft structure of probable 13th century date. Only a limited number of finds were recovered and these comprised fragments of post medieval tile and pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0405 4363|
|Parish:||WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Flint foundations of building located 1946 passage or drain at north end (see below). Numerous Nuremburg tokens in this and adjoining field to southwest.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
A vaulted undercroft structure built of flints and mortar (no brick or tiles), partially excavated by local amateurs in copse close to Blakeney - Cley coast road.
Visited by P. Wade-Martins (NAU) November 1975 and subsequently photographed by Hallam Ashley January 1976.
It is divided into a series of compartments, and along the west wall is a series of niches, flat topped, rounded and triangular. Possibly of Late Saxon or early medieval date. It is hoped to plan the structure in the spring when their
digging is resumed.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU).
Finds were few, but fragments of tile and pottery appear to be post medieval.
Tithe Map of 1842 shows no structure, but it is named 'House Close'.
Ordnance Survey Records.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 29 May 1990.
Location of this part of structure more accurately fixed (see file) and planned by A. Rogerson (NAU) and B. S. Ayers (NAU) 1986; latter suggested 13th century date.
See file and hanging plans.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 September 1986.
- BUILDING (Undated)
- UNDERCROFT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 6. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...