|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of World War Two bulk fuel installation|
In July 2009 a programme of building recording was undertaken for a World War Two bulk fuel installation at RAF Feltwell.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7112 9032|
|Parish:||FELTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July-August 2009. Building Survey.
Survey of bulk fuel installation at RAF Feltwell, prior to redevelopment of site.
The bulk fuel installation was located on the roundabout between Bird View Square and Lancaster Road. In 1964 the tanks were decommissioned and in 1965 were cleaned and some apparently filled with water. A historical plan of the installation shows 5 of the 6 tanks as being for the storage of diesel. An unstratified sign found during machine excavation of the area stated that petroleum was also stored. The main body of the structure was bureid below ground level to a depth of comprising 6 metal tanks with concrete superstructures and was rectangular in plan with the top measuring 18.6m x 10.3m x 0.16m.
See report (S1) for further details.
S. Howard (HES), 17 February 2011.
- FUEL DEPOT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Brooks, R. 2009. Building Recording Report. Air-raid shelter, bulk fuel installation and water tank, RAF Feltwell. December. 2009/233. |
|4942||Part of: RAF Feltwell Airfield (Monument)|