Record Details

NHER Number:5751
Type of record:Building
Name:Melford Bridge

Summary

This two arch red brick and stone bridge was rebuilt by Sir John Wodehouse in 1697. The north side has a Latin inscription recording this act. An informant states that an earlier name for the crossing was Mill Ford Bridge which may suggest a medieval watermill was situated here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8791 8295
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Two arch red brick and stone bridge. Rebuilt by Sir John Wodehouse 1697.
Inscription north side: 'HIC pons Suemptibus Johannes Wodehouse Bt Extructus fuit AD 1697 Qui publico optime consuluit'.
See (S1) and (S2) for further details.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

1986.
Informant states earlier name was Mill Ford Bridge which he suggests indicates a medieval watermill site here.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 April 1986.

1993. Press cutting.
A caption accompanying a sketch of the bridge published in the Eastern Daily Press states that the bridge was constructed 'for pack-horses in 1665 over the "mill ford"' and it now serves as a foot bridge.
See (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 14 July 2008.

August 1997.
Essential repair work was carried out including repair of cracks and voids in the brickwork, repointing of the brickwork, repairs to the surfacing of the bridge, and renewal of the timber bollards at the centre of the bridge. Photographs were taken before commencement of the work and after completion. These have been deposited with English Heritage.
See (S4) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 14 July 2008.

March 2006.
Further repair work has been approved. Photographs and survey drawings are to be completed before commencement of work and after completion. Copies of these are to be deposited with English Heritage. It is uncertain whether the repairs planned in 1997 were carried out at the time or whether they had been postponed until this time.
See (S4) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 14 July 2008.

Distant photograph in Thetford NARG set in parish file.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 March 2007.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Thetford.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Scheduling record: Corbishley, M.. 1983. AM107.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1993. Eastern Daily Press. 19 July.
<S4>Unpublished document: DCMS. Scheduled Monument Consent. 18 August 1997, 15 March 2006.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service