|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Stables, Felbrigg Hall|
The stables at Felbrigg Hall (NHER 6633) were constructed by W. J. Donthorn in 1825 for
Admiral William Windham. The complex is arranged around a central courtyard and consists of a northern two-storey range with single storey ranges to east and west, an open arcade to the south, and two-storey towers at the corners. The northern two storey range has three open arches on the ground floor leading to carriage-houses. The west is a 3 bay range of stables with some fittings remaining, and the eastern range serves as a cottage.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19380 39404|
|Parish:||FELBRIGG, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
THESE STABLES WERE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 6633.
Listed Building. Grade II*, 1988.
Stables, 1825 on datestone in courtyard, designed by W.J. Donthorn for Admiral William Windham. The stables are constructed of brick with stone dressings and a slate roof. There is a central courtyard with a 2-storey range to the north, single storey ranges to the east and west, an open arcade to the south and 2-storey towers at the corners. The south façade is symmetrical with a central stone-dressed 4-centred archway; hood mould continuing as band over flanking arcades of 4 bays with brick piers and 4 centred arches on rendered plinth, and iron railings. Single bay corner towers with cross- casement to ground floor, 3-light casement to upper floor; broad corner pilasters, castellated parapet continuing into stepped gable. The east range of the courtyard is a cottage, the openings under 4-centred arches. There is a 3 bay range of stables to west, with some fittings remaining. To the north a 2 storey, 3 bay castellated range with 3 open arches to ground floor leading to carriage- houses with 3 3-light square-headed casements over.
See (S1) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 15 September 2008.
Updated by H. White, (NLA), 18 February 2010
Stables being restored 1978 as youth camp. Horse operated tread mill dismantled and in store. The horse mill was inside of a two storey building dated between 1780 and 1826 and pumped water from 1924 to 1942.
E. Rose (NAU).
- CARRIAGE HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1825 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1825 AD? to 2100 AD)
- STABLE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1825 AD to 2100 AD)
- HORSE ENGINE (Early 20th Century to World War Two - 1924 AD? to 1942 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 465. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|6633||Part of: Felbrigg Hall (Building)|