|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Service wing to east of Felbrigg Hall|
This service wing to Felbrigg Hall (NHER 6633) was constructed by James Paine around 1750 and housed the Hall's Estate offices. It was remodelled and enlarged by W.J. Donthorn in 1825 and now is partly used as a shop for the National Trust. The service wing is a two-storey, rectangular brick range fronted by a long passage and flanked by projecting wings. The symmetrical façade has seven bays separated by pilasters and a central glazed double-leaved door. The building also features a cupola with a clock on the south face, a lead roof, and a weather vane. The gabled wings were both added in 1825, forming a courtyard to the rear. The eastern wing is a single storey while the western wing is two-storeys.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19316 39404|
|Parish:||FELBRIGG, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
THIS SERVICE WING WAS PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 6633.
Listed Building. Grade II*, 1988.
Former Estate offices, part now used as shop by the National Trust. The building originally dates from around 1750, designed by James Paine and remodelled and enlarged by W.J. Donthorn in 1825. It is constructed of brick partly rendered with Roman cement.The rectangular range is fronted by a long passage and flanked by projecting wings. The façade is symmetrical, as is of 7 bays, with a flat-roofed corridor added or remodelled in 1825. The bays are separated by pilasters, the first, third, fifth and seventh bays having 4-light windows with Y-tracery glazing bars and transom under a 4-centred arch. There is a similarly glazed double-leaved door to the centre bay. The second and sixth bays are blank. There is a low brick parapet, sSet back behind this is Paine's 2 storey range with rendered central 3-bays under a pediment. Cupola over with clock to south face, lead roof and weather vane. Left hand 2 bays are of brick with similar casements. To the right is a rendered screen wall. Flanking these 7 bays are single bay gabled wings added in 1825 with 4-light windows having Y- tracery glazing bars and 2 transoms, with a parapet and shaped gable. To the rear is a courtyard, the west range of 2 storeys having sash windows with glazing bars. To the north a 2 storey range with 20th century fenestration. The eastern wing is made up of a single storey and an outbuilding.
See (S1) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 15 September 2008.
Updated by H. White, (NLA), 18 February 2010
- ESTATE OFFICE (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1750 AD to 1975 AD?)
- SERVICE WING (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1750 AD to 1975 AD?)
- SHOP (Cold War to Modern - 1975 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|6633||Part of: Felbrigg Hall (Building)|