|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Orangery at Felbrigg Hall|
The Orangery at Felbrigg Hall was constructed for William Ashe Windham around 1705 and was restored in 1958. It is a brick building with a hipped slate roof. The south front has 7 bays and features tall, recessed cross-casement windows which may have replaced earlier sash windows.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19246 39485|
|Parish:||FELBRIGG, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
THIS ORANGERY WAS PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 6633.
Listed Building. Grade II, 1960.
Orangery. Circa 1705 for William Ashe Windham. Restored 1958. Brick. Hipped slate roof. South front of 7 bays. Tall cross-casements with glazing bars, recessed in their openings, the stone sills at ground level, the lower two lights opening, the upper fixed. These perhaps replace sashes. Rubbed flat brick arches and moulded reveals. Central double-leaved doors, the lower panels blank, the upper with glazing bars; overlight to match, flanking windows in similar sized openings. Plain timber cornice incorporating iron gutter. Repair to west gable wall. Blocked opening to east. To north 7 blind openings. Interior. Colour-washed brick. Concrete lintel to blocked opening in west wall.
Information from (S1).
See (S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 15 September 2008.
- ORANGERY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1705 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Publication: Ketton-Cremer, R.W.. 1962. Felbrigg. The Story of a House.. p 83. |
|6633||Part of: Felbrigg Hall (Building)|
|51749||Related to: Formal Gardens, Felbrigg Hall (Landscape)|