|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St John the Baptist's Church, Timberhill, Norwich|
This parish church has 11th century long and short work in the east wall but mostly dates to the 15th century. It is built of flint with stone and brick dressings and a slate roof with small dormers. All the windows were renewed or refaced in the 19th century and the tower which collapsed in 1784 has been replaced with a Victorian bellcote. Inside, visitors can see a fine chandelier of about 1500 and this is a rare imported type.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23186 08258|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
March 1972. Listed Grade I.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Parish church. 11th-century long and short work in east wall. 15th century. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Slate roofs with small dormers. Lead on aisles. Nave and chancel. North and south aisles. South porch. North 19th-century vestry. All the windows were renewed or refaced in the 19th century. West tower collapsed in 1784."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 January 2018. Amended H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.
Long and short work at northeast corner of original chancel is probably Saxon work of early 11th century.
'St John de Berestrete'.
Founded in the time of the conqueror (Cathedral Register III, 57).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1970s or 1980s. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norwich Survey.
See draft report (S4) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 16 January 2018.
The candelabra mentioned is a rare example of an imported type.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 March 2000.
Press cutting (S6) in file.
Lecture by N. Grove at Cambridge provided additional information on the Ritualist history of this church in the late 19th century.
See notes (S7) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA) 24 April 2006.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD to 2100 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 181. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 200. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 239. |
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 43-44. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Congregation helps raise church roof with £15,000. 8 August. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1290337. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Brown, G. B. 1925. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. The Arts in Early England. Vol II. p 474. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 322. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Report: [Unknown]. [unknown]. St John Timberhill [draft report]. Building Report. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Tracy, C.. 1999. Importation of Church Furniture.. Journ British Archaeol Ass. Vol CLII. p 98. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Organ in fine new voice is 'one of city's best' after refit. 23 July. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2006. Church of St John Timberhill - its Ritualist history. Notes from lecture by N Groves at Cambridge 2006. |
|Site 1424||Parent of: 19 Caernarvon Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1490||Parent of: Cemetery 2 (Cemetery of St John de Berstrete- Castle Mall) (Monument)|
|Site 2077||Parent of: Church of St John the Baptist, Timberhill (Monument)|
|Site 2079||Parent of: Church of St John the Baptist, Timberhill (Monument)|
|Site 2585||Parent of: Church of St John the Baptist, Timberhill (Monument)|
|Mon 1435||Parent of: St John the Baptist Churchyard, Timberhill (Monument)|
|Mon 729||Parent of: St John the Baptists Timberhill Church (Monument)|
Find out more...