|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of All Saints' Church, Weeting with Broomhill|
This is the site of All Saints' Church, which was ruined before 1759. It is known to have been demolished before 1979. In the 1960s human bones were found nearby, and these were reburied in the church. The earthworks of probable medieval lanes and boundaries recorded under NHER 5633 extend to and incorporate the site of this church, see record and mapping for details.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7757 8870|
|Parish:||WEETING WITH BROOMHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of church. Ruined before 1759. Demolished before 1979. Cropmarks only remain.
Human bones found nearby, reburied in church. Compare with site NHER 30115.
See notes and press cutting (S6) in file.
See ref .
August 2016. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The site of the All Saints’ Church is visible as parchmarks on aerial photographs (S3-S4). These were not included in the mapping however as the site of the church is depicted on the Ordnance Survey First Edition map (S5) and other accurate sources are likely to exist. The earthworks of probable medieval lanes and boundaries recorded under NHER 5633 extend to and incorporate the site of this church, see record and mapping for details.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 17th August 2016.
- INHUMATION (Unknown date)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 18th Century - 1066 AD? to 1759 AD?)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL7788 F-K. |
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. NHER5625. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 78 NE 18 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 756. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Weeting. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Church play area dispute. 22 May. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 132; pp 53, 154-155. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Grimshoe. The Churches of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. Norfolk Historic Environment Record TM7788B-E 28-JUL-1983 (NLA 136/ATG5-8) (Print). |
|<S4>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. Norfolk Historic Environment Record TM7788F-K 28-JUN-1989 (NLA 228/DKN2-6) (Print). |
|<S5>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Old bones given an informal burial. 3 August. |
Related records - none
Find out more...