|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Helen's Church, South of Bishopgate, Norwich|
The site of a probably pre-Conquest church, demolished in 1256.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23667 08971|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Inferred as pre 1100. Taken into The Close in 13th century (Jope).
The church was demolished in 1256 by Cathedral Priory.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 321. |
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N17; p 175. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 99. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S2>||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. pp 177-178. |
|<S3>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 34-38. |
|Mon 727||Parent of: St Helen's Church, South of Bishopgate (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|MNO8041||Related to: Church of St. Helen Bishopgate NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...