|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Ruins of All Saints' Church, Garboldisham|
This is the site of a medieval church that was almost completely demolished in 1734. The only section to survive is part of the 14th century tower. This stands to its full height and features merchants' marks of shears and a wool comb.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0043 8187|
|Parish:||GARBOLDISHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
July 1958. Listed, Grade II.
Remains of church of All Saints 16/7/58 11 Remains of Tower. Late C14, demolished 1734. Flint with ashlar dressings. 2 stages with diagonal buttresses. West window under depressed arch now with- out tracery. Trefoiled lancet above string course. 2-light belfry window with 4-centred arch. Parapet with brick crenellations. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 78.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.
Late 14th century, demolished 1734. Tower remains to full height, cracked, covered in ivy; (S1) calls tower 18th century but this must be a mistake. Nothing else. Graveyard thickly overgrown.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 September 1975.
According to (S3) the church before demolition was Decorated and Early English, thatched, with an already ruined chapel at the east end with buttresses marked 'TB' for Thomas de Bosco, rector. On the tower were merchants marks of shears and a wool comb, and inside a board to say the roof was repaired around 1450.
E. Rose (NAU).
Sketch map of Garboldisham before 1776 including the location of All Saint's church (S4).
H. Mellor (HES), 16 September 2015.
Merchants mark still remains.
E. Rose (NAU).
See (S5) for a detailed description of the church.
In 1523 a bequest was left for painting the rood beam and setting up a tabernacle on it. Information from member of the public .
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 1995.
(S6) recounts a legend that the patron of the church, the earl of Oxford, to save money allowed it to decay on the grounds that there was no clerk. A tailor and a woolcomber raised the funds instead hence the merchants marks described above.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 July 2006.
Section 17 management agreement signed.
D. Robertson (NLA), 11 August 2010.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 18th Century - 1066 AD to 1734 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM0081 A-C,D-F. |
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF505. |
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 93; p 52. |
|---||Designation: Corbishley, M.. 1983. AM107. |
|---||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 181. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 SW 1 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: CLK 2 to 11. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. 1825 (about). [unknown]. |
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk. p 22. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 348. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Garboldisham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. EQL 25. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168547. |
|<S2>||Designation: M.W.T. 1960. AM7. 2. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Guiltcross. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VIII. pp 20-27. |
|<S4>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Unknown. Unknown. Sketch map of Garboldisham before 1776.. Film. 1:10560. |
|<S5>||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S6>||Publication: Pursehouse, E.. no date. Waveney Valley Studies. p 169. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2009-2010. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement. |
|MNO8245||Related to: Remains of Church of All Saints Water Lane GARBOLDISHAM (Revoked)|
Find out more...