Record Details

NHER Number:5559
Type of record:Building
Name:St Helen's Church, Saddlebow

Summary

A church and school built in 1863 in flint with stone dressings. The building has now been converted into a house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6102 1572
Map Sheet:TF61NW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Flint; 3 imitation Perpendicular windows in south wall. Small west door; formerly a bell turret in this gable, now gone. East window formerly contained stained glass now part destroyed by insertion of large double doors. Either side of this a cross in brick. Stone dressings. Lean-to buildings along north side these were the school buildings, divided off from the church inside by a former screen and curtain. The church had double function as church and school. Built 1863 and
served for clergy from All Saint's South Lynn.
Full description in (S1).
Church also served Setchey Parva (Seetching) in which hamlet it stood and thus belonged to diocese of Norwich whereas Saddlebow hamlet was in parish of Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin and so in diocese of Ely.
Owners applied to demolish 1982.
Visited and photographed by E.M. James (KLM) 31 March 1982.

Still standing 1988, application to convert to residential.
E. Rose (NAU) 26 July 1988.

Architects plans (1988) and photos in file.

Now restored and converted to one wing of much larger new house.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 September 1991.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (1863, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SCHOOL (1863, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 625.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. A distinctive and stylish conversion. 5 December.
---Photograph: EGM 26 - 29.
<S1>Directory: White, W. 1864. History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and County of Norwich. p 740.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service