|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Anne's Chapel|
A chapel to St Anne stood in the Conesford area next to St Anne's Staith. In AD 1370 it was demolished and the area united to St Clement (NHER 451).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23630 08239|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Stood by St Anne's Staithe and was demolished and united to St Clement about AD 1370 (S1).
Compiled by M. Atkin.
1998. NAU Report No. 388.
An archaeological impact assessment emphasizes the historical significance of King Street, the north-south spine of the Late Saxon town and the character of the site, which was occupied from an early date although just outside the line of the defensive circuit. The waterfront area of King Street was of growing importance to institutional 'developers' from the 13th century, with ecclesiastical and commerical interests dominating in the 15th century (resulting in 'Dragon Hall'). After the Dissolution the major ecclesiastical precinct, the Austin Friars, became private gardens to the Duke of Norfolk's townhouse, Howard House. Development here will have a major impact on the remains of the defensive circuit and may provide an opportunity to examine further the Late Saxon remains and the medieval friary and waterfront complexes.
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1370 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. p 78. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|374||Part of: Austin Friary Precinct, King Street, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...