|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Area of cultivation associated with Greyfriars' Precinct|
An archaeological evaluation in 2006 revealed a small number of features, including post holes, pits and a single ditch. The site appears to have been enclosed within the precinct of Greyfriars (NHER 373) in the 13th or early 14th century, and served a horticultural use from then into the post medival period. Window sampling here in 2008 revealed no riverine deposits. A watching brief in 2008 revealed medieval walls and the remains of at least three humans, possibly burials
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23606 08683|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
November 2006. Evaluation. Contexts 1-98.
A small number of features, comprising post holes, pits and a single ditch were identified.
The low-lying nature of the site appears to have made it unattractive for occupation before the medieval period, with only a few pre-medieval finds recovered during the evaluation, suggesting that it remained marginal to known areas of activity before this time. The site was enclosed within the Greyfriars precinct, probably in the 13th century, when the site appears to have been used as a garden or area of agricultural cultivation linked to the Friary. The lack of evidence associated with the destruction of the Friary during the Dissolution suggests that it was somewhat remote and separate from the friary. There was no evidence for any demolition debris, indicating that no substantial buildings stood in the vicinity. The only exception to this was in the north-western part of the site where flints bonded with a pale mortar found in a single pit in Trench 3. This demolition debrisis thought to be remains of the precinct wall rather than those of a building.
The site appears to have retained its horticultural function beyond the Dissolution, and was mapped as an area of orchards by Hochstetter in 1789. By the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey map in 1885, the majority of the site was open ground, with a row of buildings identified as a school along the north-eastern boundary.
See (S1) for further details.
See also (S5).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 26 November 2007.
October 2007. Window sampling.
The deposits encountered correlate with the friable soils located during the previous evaluation (see above), but no riverine deposits were encountered. This means that no remains of the Dallingfleet Stream could be found at this location.
Finds recovered from the samples included 4 sherds of post medieval pottery, 10 pieces of post medieval ceramic building material, a fragment of bone, fragments of clay tobacco pipe, a piece of smithing slag and one piece of burnt flint.
See (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 September 2008.
March 2008. Watching brief.
Late- medieval and post- medieval pottery and animal bone was recovered from the spoil of the south- western foundations
In the central- northern area of excavation quanties of human bone were recovered from the spoil heap and digger bucket at a depth of 2-2.5m. It was impossible to clarify if the bone came from in situ burials as the lowest context was submerged. Due to the depth of the trench, only the blrgest pieces of bone coule be spotted and recovered. The remains derive from a minimum of three adults. The site seems to great a distance to have been associated with the friary cemetary, but it is possible that these remains belonged to the churchyard of St Mary in the March before the area was incorporated into the friary precinct in the 14th century.
At the eastern section of the excavtion, two walls were located at right angles to one another. Both were flint and motar walls, oe aligned east-west and the other north- south. Other features, such as possible flint- cobbled floors were discovered, but were impossible to distinguish due to the nature of machining.
See (S3) for further information.
See also (S4).
H White (NLA) 11 November 2008.
- PIT (Unknown date)
- POST HOLE (Unknown date)
- FLOOR? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ORCHARD (Post Medieval - 1789 AD? to 1789 AD?)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WIND INSTRUMENT? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Adams, D.. 2007. NAU Archaeology Report No. 1242. An Archaeological Evaluation at St Faith's Lane and Cathedral Street, Norwich, Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Crawford, R.. 2008. NAU Archaeology Report No. 1589. An Archaeological Window Sampling Evaluation at land at St. Faith's Lane and Cathedral Street, Norwich.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Hobson, M.. NAU Archaeology Report No. 1790. An Archaeological Watching Brief at St Faith's Lane and Cathedral Street, Norwich. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Gurney, D & Hoggett, R. 2009. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2008. Norfolk Archaeology. XLV Part IV pp 570-578. p 577. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 2007. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2006. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt II pp 261-273. p 267. |
|373||Part of: Greyfriars' Precinct, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...