|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Library, Station Road|
A stuccoed brick Wesleyan Chapel of 1759, seriously altered for its present purpose in 1949.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9179 4349|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built in 1759 as a Wesleyan Chapel, red brick stuccoed, hipped pantiled roof. Doorway with pilasters and cornice, with tall window each side with metal glazing bars.
Tinker's Hotel, Ancillary building, The Library and Nos. 15 to 19 (odd) form a group with St Helier.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 2 October 2006.
Reputedly built in 1808 of brick with later rendering and pyramidal pantiled roof. The south front of the building has three bays and a central doorway.
A former Sunday school building at the rear was built in 1888. The interior of the building has no original fittings, but there are traces that survive of the former galleries which are against the north and east walls. This has been converted into a library.
See (S1) for further details.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 3 December 2012.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1759 AD to 1949 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1759 AD to 1949 AD)
- LIBRARY (Cold War to Modern - 1949 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.274. |
Related records - none
Find out more...