Record Details

NHER Number:47433
Type of record:Building
Name:Lifeboat House, Beach Road

Summary

A single storey rectangular stone and white brick lifeboat house of 1869, in Gothic Revival style with a black glazed pantile roof and later additions and alterations. The north half is now a maritime museum. The south half was converted to a reading room and tea rooms in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9156 4391
Map Sheet:TF94SW
Parish:WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Lifeboat house. 1869. Design attributed to Charles Cooke. Carved stone with Holkham white brick dressings. Roof of black glazed pantiles, repaired in places. Single storey, rectangular in plan. Essentially a shed with gable ends given architectural treatment. Gothic Revival style. Each gable with pointed diaphragm arches into three-bay loggia; this space designed for oar storage. In centre of south elevation a broad flat-arched opening with brick relieving arch. Original plank doors replaced by late 20th century front of no distinction; this, like the plate glass window in the north elevation, does not extend into the original fabric. Each gable parapet has single step at midpoint and a pitched ashlar finial at its apex. Pointed-arch window in gable head, glazing bars of original design. Iron purlin ties. Eaves to returns have timber dentils; posts supporting roof are bracketed and chamfered; brackets with decorative ends. Three windows similar to that in the gable head already described, along each return wall. Original interior survives in the north half, now a maritime museum where timber trusses with purlins; boarded sloping ceiling: the southern half was converted in 1897 to a reading room with fireplace; ground floor opened as tea rooms to celebrate Diamond Jubilee. From this conversion there remains, upstairs, an iron fireplace with, externally, an axial brick ridge stack near the centre of the roof. North elevation with window in centre, flat arched, with pointed diaphragm arches to either side as on the south elevation; pointed-arch window to gable end.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 28 September 2006.

Monument Types

  • LIFEBOAT STATION (Post Medieval to Modern - 1869 AD to 2050 AD)
  • LOGGIA (Post Medieval to Modern - 1869 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1869 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Former Type) TEA ROOM (Post Medieval - 1897 AD to 1897 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1897 AD to 1897 AD)
  • READING ROOM (Post Medieval - 1897 AD to 1897 AD)
  • LIFEBOAT STATION (Cold War to Modern - 1950 AD to 2050 AD)
  • MUSEUM (Modern - 1993 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service