Record Details

NHER Number:47415
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Custom House, East Quay

Summary

First mentioned in Samuel Pepys diary in 1666, this is an early 17th century flint, brick and stucco building, much altered, with a pantile roof. It is two storeys high with a decorated dormer attic window. There is a cast iron Royal Arms. The former Queens Warehouse is to the east and has a heavy door with an iron grilled square opening.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9187 4374
Map Sheet:TF94SW
Parish:WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Early 17th century, altered. Two storey and attic with dormers. One dormer with bead and red egg and tongue enrichment. Flint pebble alternating with red brick headers exposed on west side, remainder mainly stuccoed over. Pantile roof. Cast iron Royal Arms, formerly above yard entrance, now against tile. Former Queen's Warehouse wing, east, with heavy door with iron grilled square opening. Interior: two-panel doors. Early 18th century stone mantel. First record in 1666, mentioned in Pepys' Diary, and much further information up to the time of its sale in 1927 in the Custom House Library in London.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 27 September 2006.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) CUSTOM HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WAREHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service