|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Bawburgh to Bishop Bridge Roman road|
It has been suggested that there was a Roman road between Bawburgh and Bishop Bridge in the centre of Norwich. For part of its route it is thought to have followed the modern Dereham Road, whilst in Bowthorpe and Bawburgh it has been linked to cropmarks visible on aerial photographs. A series of sections have been excavated across the line of the proposed road, a number of which have revealed undated chalk or gravel surfaces.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2000 0927|
|Parish:||BAWBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|EARLHAM, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
|HELLESDON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Trans-Norwich Roman Road.
Suggested Roman road from Bawburgh settlement (and beyond?) to Norwich, connecting with road NHER 9690?
1979 and 1985. Observation of commercial trenching.
See details and site reports in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 April 1990.
July 2010. Norfolk NMP.
A fragmentary linear ditch is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1), along the line of the proposed Roman Road. It is visible in three sections from TG 1737 0952 to TG 1764 0957
E. Bales (NMP), 20 July 2010.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- ROAD (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: 1975. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1975. No 22. p 6. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 2208ADA, ADD. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Bawburugh. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D, NLA. 1976. NHER TG 1809A-B (NLA 27/AEX5-6) 29-JUN-1976. |
|397||Parent of: Medieval watercourse in St Andrew's Street, adjacent to number 41 (Monument)|
|54444||Related to: Cropmarks of possible Roman Road NHER 5244 (Monument)|
Find out more...