Record Details

NHER Number:47374
Type of record:Building
Name:Old School House

Summary

This house used to be a school, and was built in the mid 19th century of flint fragments in mortar with gault brick dressings and pantiled roofs.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2311 3294
Map Sheet:TG23SW
Parish:SUFFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1982. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Old School House.
School, now a house. Mid 19th century. Flint fragments in mortar with gault brick dressings. Pantiled roofs. Rectangular on plan with flanking wings. Central two storey gabled bay with central 20th century door with a diamond lattice casement to left and right. One similar window to gable, all openings under brick hood moulds. To left a two bay single storey range with oversailing eaves having two similar casements. To right a single storey, two bay range with apsidal end of three bays; similar fenestration. Oversailing eaves. Hipped roof over apse, below this a tiled hood on brackets. Rear of two storey bay has hipped roof.
Information from (S1).

July 2010. Building Survey.
School built in the mid 19th century on the edge of Gunton Park, with two storey teachers house in central position in the building. The school is thought to have been closed by 1925 and has now been converted into a house.
See(S2) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 9 August 2012.

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1925 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1925 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172636.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Howland, R.. 2010. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Old School House, Suffield, Norfolk.. July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service