Record Details

NHER Number:46855
Type of record:Building
Name:29 Downham Road

Summary

This house was formerly a rectory. It dates to the early 18th century and is constructed from brick with slate roofing. The central 19th century Gothic door lies behind a modern pedimented porch. The north and south shaped gables have central chimneystacks, the one to the south being external. Addtionally, the later 18th century wing to the rear has a full height gabled stair turret.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 61612 08863
Map Sheet:TF60NW
Parish:RUNCTON HOLME, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

This house was formerly a rectory. It dates to the early 18th century and is constructed from brick with slate roofing. The facade has been colour-washed. It stands two storeys high with an attic, and has three bays. The central 19th century Gothic door lies behind a pedimented porch of 1984. The windows are late 18th century sashes with glazing bars beneath skewback arches. The lower windows are in projecting surrounds. A string course is present at first floor level. The upper facade is 20th century brickwork. The gabled roof has three 20th century gabled dormers. The north and south shaped gables have central chimneystacks, the one to the south being external. The north gable has a pediment and two attic windows, one of which is blocked. The later 18th century two-storey wing to rear has a full height gabled stair turret.
Information from (S1).

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) VICARAGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records

MNO6681Related to: No 29 Downham Road RUNCTON HOLME (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service