Record Details

NHER Number:46838
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Granary, High Street


A mid 18th century two storey colourwashed brick and stone former maltings, with additions of 1910, altered in 1982. It is now a private house.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 7050 9990
Map Sheet:TL79NW

Full description

Maltings, now private house. Mid 18th centurywith additions of 1910, altered 1982. Colourwashed brick, clunch and carstone. Slate roof. Two storeys and attic. 20th century loading bay doors off-set to left under segmental arch. Renewed sash window to left and casement with wrought iron balcony to right. Flat brick string course between storeys. Three late 20th century casements to first floor and one sash, all under segmental arches. Mansard roof. Buttress supports east gable. Late 20th century attic casement below oculus with gault brick surround. Gabled two storey addition of 1910 at rear to form double pile plan. This terminates in late 20th century gabled wall which is remains of truncated cross wing. All interior timbering survives. Remains of malting tank in cellar. Roof of secondary rafters only. Collars with arched braces at change in roof angle and further collars above. Clasped purlins.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) MALTINGS (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 1910 AD)
  • (Former Type) MALTINGS (Modern to Cold War - 1910 AD to 1982 AD)
  • HOUSE (Cold War to Modern - 1982 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Archive: Heywood S. (HES). 1998. Norfolk County Council Site Record - The Old Granary, High Street.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service