|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Old Rectory, Rectory Lane|
This former rectory is now a private house. It was built in the early 19th century principally of gault brick and carstone with a hipped slate roof. It has an attached range and two-storeyed porch with a panelled wood typanum. The house has recessed sash windows. Interesting features include the three bulbous gault brick chimney pots and the white and grey marble fireplaces in the interior.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6409 1617|
|Parish:||NORTH RUNCTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Formerly the rectory and was built in the early 19th century of gault brick with a hipped slate roof. It has three bays, two storeys and is double depth. Attached is a three bay two-storeyed range en echelon to the northeast built from carstone. The principal facade to south has three bays, two storeys and a hipped slate roof with wide eaves and modillions; stone plinth and platband with angle pilasters. The central bay breaks forward with pediment. The house has recessed sashes with glazing bars and flat arches; ground floor bays one and three have semi-circular headed recess containing sash now reaching to ground with lower panel of wood and two stone steps. Right return to east: four bays, two storeys, angle pilaster to left; windowless first bay with stone platband; second bay with forward two-storeyed porch having hipped slate roof, platband, semi-circular headed doorway with double leaved panelled door and panelled wood tympanum, recessed sashes with glazing bars to ground floor returns and above doorway. Bays three and four with varied fenestration in renewed openings; wide stair window of about 1900, to bay three of four lights with two transoms, semi-circular light between two transoms over central two lights, grille leaded panes; fourth bay with recessed sashes with glazing bars. Left return to west of three bays and two storeys, pilaster strips at angles having recessed central panel. First bay with two storeyed canted bay window having polygonal slate roof, sashes with glazing bars to each floor, central window of ground floor bay with double leaved doors to flight of stone steps. Two-storeyed block to northeast in uncoursed carstone rubble with gault brick dressings, roof as to main range; recessed sashes with glazing bars, quoined surrounds and stone sills. Central doorway to east facade, rectangular fanlight over four-panelled part-glazed door. Gault brick stack to left with shaft enclosed by three-light roof dormer, three bulbous gault chimney pots. Similar pots to main house. Interior: room to northwest with plaster ceiling rose, acanthus leaf frieze, white marble fireplace with two bound reeded columns to both left and right; room to southwest with plaster ceiling rose, plaster panelled walls and acanthus leaf frieze, grey marble fireplace.
Information from (S1).
See also (S2).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 28 August 2006.
(S3) added to file.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 February 2007.
GIS corrected, formerly mapped at TF 6409 1617 which is another rectory dating from the 1950s.
A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 16 November 2018.
- VICARAGE (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1950 AD?)
- GARDEN PORCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077652. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 574. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: 2001. Architect's plan. |
Related records - none
Find out more...