|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||1 and 5 Muckledyke|
A 17th century two storey flint and stone house with later additions and alterations.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9654 4344|
|Parish:||STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
House. 17th century. Walls flint, clunch, stone dressings. Roof red pantiles. Two storeys, formerly in multiple occupation. Porch at rear is 20th century addition. North (rear): random fenestration, 20th century in older openings, some stone embrasures, and blocked windows. Remains of stone door jamb identifies as originally lobby entrance house. One stone jambed window opening survives, ground floor left. Cut stone end quoins shaped kneelers at eaves level, brick coped parapets, rebuilt. South: 20th century fenestration in brick quoined surrounds. Two end stacks.
Two end bay rooms, ground floor, have simple longitudinal beams with simple chamfers ending in triangular stops. Beams at right angles over fireplaces (at east with simple stone flattened arch).
The Listing however does not go into the question of where the stone came from at this period – is it imported (by the owners of the Hall?) or is it reused monastic?
E. Rose (NLA), 6 June 2007.
April 2011. Planning Application.
Re-construction of barn to provide two-storey extension and erection of boundary wall.
Z. Dack (HES), 15 June 2011.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. 20111306. |
Related records - none
Find out more...