|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Church of Our Lady of Consolation, Lynford|
This Roman Catholic knapped flint and ashlar church was built in 1879 by Henry Clutton for Mrs Lyle Stephens of Lynford Hall (NHER 5150). The nave and chancel were built as one and have four bays of Perpendicular style windows.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8189 9331|
|Parish:||LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Roman Catholic Church, on Ordnance Survey as SS Mary and Stephen, but in (S1) and (S2) as Our Lady of Consolation.
1879 by Henry Clutton for Mrs Lyle Stephens of the Hall. Knapped flint and ashlar. Tiled. Nave and chancel in one, eastern (sic) half flanked by aisles serving as porches, vestry and confessional. Four bays narrow Perpendicular style windows. Exaggerated intermediate buttresses. Traceried open parapets. West wall with window and buttress supporting bellcote. West doors to aisles, single light windows, flat roofs. Listing inspector did not see interior.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 4 April 1986.
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: 1991. Eastern Daily Press. 4 November. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2004. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/lynford/lynford.htm. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. Buildings of England.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|30470||Part of: Lynford Hall Park (Monument)|
|MNO6759||Related to: Church of Our Lady of Consolation, LYNFORD (Revoked)|
Find out more...