Record Details

NHER Number:5146
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Buckenham Tofts deserted medieval village and St Andrew's Church

Summary

This is the site of Buckenham Tofts deserted medieval village. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book and the Nomina Villorum and was also known as Buckenham Parva. The parish church of the village was dedicated to St Andrew but virtually no traces of this building or indeed any of the village buildings survive as the remnants were obliterated in the 18th/19th century. Over the years a few finds have been recovered from the environs of the former village including medieval pottery sherds and jumbled human remains of an uncertain date.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 839 948
Map Sheet:TL89SW
Parish:STANFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of Buckenham Tofts village and church, latterly part of park.
1976. Medieval sherds and flint found.
1992. Human remains found
See brief notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU) May 1990.

Appropriate section from reference (S1) in file.

Monument Types

  • INHUMATION (Undated)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CISTERN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MALTINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II.
---Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
---Publication: Martin, T.. Church Notes.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Stanfield.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service