Record Details

NHER Number:46410
Type of record:Building
Name:Gate Piers, Gates, Flanking Walls and Railings at Old Buckenham Hall

Summary

The gate-piers, gates, flanking walls and railings at the entrance to the drive of Old Buckenham Hall (NHER 11810) date to around 1911. They were possibly constructed by Detmar Blow who rebuilt Old Buckenham Hall in 1911. The gate-piers are of red brick and the wrought iron double gates to carriageway have decorative scrollwork.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0581 9010
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

The gate-piers, gates, flanking walls and railings at the entrance to the drive of Old Buckenham Hall date to around 1911. They were possibly constructed by Detmar Blow who rebuilt Old Buckenham Hall in 1911. The large red brick gate-piers are square on plan, with rebated corners to the shafts, on moulded stone bases and with moulded stone caps and ball finials. The wrought iron double gates to carriageway have decorative scrollwork. Low brick walls survive on either side with railings above and similar but smaller flanking piers. Old Buckenham Hall was owned by HH Prince Frederick Duleep Singh. It was bought in 1911 by L. Robinson who rebuilt the house to the designs of Detmar Blow. According to [1] the Hall was laregely destroyed by fire in 1952.

Monument Types

  • GATE (Modern - 1911 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GATE PIER (Modern - 1911 AD to 2050 AD)
  • RAILINGS (Modern - 1911 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WALL (Modern - 1911 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Photograph: 1996. Photograph of Gate and Piers to Old Buckenham Hall, Quidenham. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records

MNO3918Related to: Gate Pier, Gates, Flanking Walls and Railings, Old Buckenham Hall QUIDENHAM (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service