|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Quidenham Post Office and the pair of adjacent cottages|
This post medieval house is now a pair of cottages and post office. It was remodelled in the 17th century. It is a timber frame and brick construction with a pantile roof. In the late 19th century the house was divided into two cottages, and a blacksmith's shop was added at the front of the right hand end. The blacksmith's shop is now used as the Post Office. Particularly interesting internal features include the central back to back fireplaces and the exposed beams.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0265 8806|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
June 1991. Listed, Grade II.
Post medieval house is now a pair of cottages and post office. It was remodelled in the 17th century and extended in the 19th century. It is constructed of a timber frame on brick plinth, partly reclad in brick and sham timber framing. It has a steeply pitched clay pantile roof with gable ends and a brick axial stack. It has a three room plan with back to back fireplaces in axial stack between the left and centre rooms which form a lobby entrance at the front; the partition between the right and centre has been removed forming one large room. In the late 19th century the house was divided into two cottages, extended by addition of two wings at the back and a blacksmiths shop at the front of the right hand end. The blacksmiths shop is now used as the post office. It is single storey with an attic with an asymmetrical three window east front. Two 19th century three-light casements are situated on the ground floor and three two-light casements are in the gabled half dormers with bargeboards and finials. Larger six-pane sash on the right and plank and panelled doors to right and left of the centre. The former blacksmiths shop, now post office in lower gable ended wing projecting on right with shop windows and doorway on inner face, also faced in sham timber framing on brick plinth. Timber frame exposed in left (south) gable end. Two gable-ended brick wings at rear. Interior: the central room has a chamfered cross-beam with cyma stops and fireplace with chamfered timber lintel covered by later lintel and jambs. Exposed on first floor are wall plate and tie-beam at back and large principals and wall plate.
Information from (S1).
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (19th Century to 21st Century - 1850 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1248822. |
Related records - none
Find out more...