|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||United Reformed Church, Earl's Street|
The United Reformed church was originally built as a congregational chapel in 1817. It is built from flint with gault brick dressings and a gault brick facade. The central stained-glass window is flanked either side by a recessed panelled door under round arches with fanlights. Inside, the west gallery was added in 1843 with the timber posts of the balcony blocked-off in 1968 to form a first-floor meeting room.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 87212 83131|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
United Reform church, built as a congregational chapel in 1817. Flint with gault brick dressings and gault brick façade. Roof of black-glazed pantiles. Two storeys in three bays. Central stained-glass window flanked either side by a recessed six-panelled door under round arches with six-vaned fanlights. Three sash windows to the first floor with 6/6 glazing bars. Gauged skewback arches. Hipped roof. Flint returns.
Interior: west gallery added in 1843: timber posts with panelled balcony: blocked-off in 1968 to form first-floor meeting room.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 28 August 2006.
See (S2) for further details.
M . Langham-Lopez (HES), 29 November 2012.
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1817 AD to 2050 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1817 AD to 2050 AD)
- UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (Cold War to Modern - 1972 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.273. |
Related records - none
Find out more...