Record Details

NHER Number:46358
Type of record:Building
Name:37 and 39, St Nicholas Street

Summary

This pair of two storey houses with shop is thought to have been constructed in the mid 19th century but may have earlier origins. They are made of flint with gault brick dressings and have been whitewashed. No.37 has a mid 19th century shop front while No.39 has three irregular bays, suggesting older core.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8679 8337
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

37 and 39 St Nicholas Street. Listed 1971, grade II.
Pair of houses with shop. Mid 19th century, perhaps with earlier origins. Flint with gault brick dressings. Whitewashed. Pantile roofs. Two storeys. No.37 has an unhorned 8/8 sash and a similar 6/6 sash separated by a plank door. To their right is a mid 19th century shop front with a 3/3 display sash and a plank side entrance door. Three blind windows to first floor. Dentil eaves cornice. Gabled roof with rebuilt internal gable-end stack to south. South gable wall rebuilt 20th century. No.39 is more conventionally orientated, although its three bays are irregular, suggesting older core. Half-glazed central door with overlight. One two-light casement right and left, the former with segmental head. Similar casement over door and an unhorned 3/3 sash either side. Dentil eaves cornice. Gabled roof with internal gable-end chimneystack to south and a ridge stack right of centre. Interior not inspected.
Information from (S1).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SHOP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Photograph of 37 St Nicholas Street, Thetford. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service