|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Nuns Bridge South|
This road bridge over the River Little Ouse dates to the late 18th century. It is made from gault brick and has two elliptical arches separated by stepped buttresses on the downstream side. It is one of three bridges (including NHER 46326 and 46481) located on the site of the Icknield Way (NHER 1398) river crossing which was first used around 3000 BC.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8737 8250|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
December 1993. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Road over river bridge (River Little Ouse). Late 18th century. Gault brick with some red introduced. Two elliptical arches with central cutwater are separated by stepped buttresses on downstream side. Plain brick parapet canted outwards to banks. Upstream side similar."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended E. McDonald (HES), 8 November 2019.
This is one of three bridges (including NHER 46326 and 46481) located on the site of the Icknield Way (NHER 1398) river crossing.
Information from (S1) description for NHER 46326.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 09 July 2008.
- BRIDGE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 712-713. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1195912. |
Related records - none
Find out more...