Record Details

NHER Number:46324
Type of record:Building
Name:The Presbytery, New Town

Summary

This pair of houses was built in 1829 for the Roman Catholic priest and curate of St Mary's Church (NHER 14175). The two storey, three bay building is made from cut flint with gault brick dressings and a slate roof. The gabled roof has a dentil eaves cornice and two gault brick ridge chimney stacks. The building was converted to a single house in the 20th century and the central double-leaf 20th century door is set under an eight-vaned fanlight. Doors in the west front and north gable end lead to staircase halls, both with stick-baluster staircases and ramped and wreathed handrails.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8667 8285
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Pair of houses for Roman Catholic priest and curate. 1829. Converted to one house in 20th century. Cut flint with gault brick dressings. Slate roof. Two storeys in three bays. Central double-leaf 20th century door under an eight-vaned fanlight. One unhorned 6/6 sash window left and right under segmental gauged skewback arches. Three similar to first floor. Dentil eaves cornice. Gabled roof with two gault brick ridge stacks. North return with a central six-panelled door under a four-vaned fanlight. Either side is a window with six panes, each under a four-vaned fanlight. Two sashes above and third in the gable head are 1991. Interior: both doors lead to halls with stick baluster staircases with ramped and wreathed handrails. Ground floors of former two houses now connected, but upper floors separate at time of review.
Information from (S1).

The presbytery of St. Mary's Church (NHER 14175) was constructed as two houses and converted to a single house in the 20th century. It has three bays and sash windows. Doors in the west front and north gable end lead to staircase halls, both with stick-baluster staircases and ramped and wreathed handrails.
See (S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 24 July 2008.

November 1981. Field Observation.
The Presbytery was inspected at the same time as a burial discovered within the church cellar (see NHER 14175). A chalk block wall discovered in the cellar is thought to relate to an earlier structure which was re-used in the present church and house. Within the Presbytery, a three foot wide passage with a blocked door was observed behind the chimney of the room in the northwest corner. The floor level of this passage and the threshold of the door was recorded as about two feet below the floor level of the main house and therefore was thought that it could also relate to an earlier building re-used in the Presbytery.
See (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 06 August 2008.

21 April 1982. Field Observation.
The blocked passage within was inspected during a second investigation of the church cellar (NHER 14175). It was determined that the passage was likely not related to an earlier structure as the pammets (clay floor tiles) were seen to continue under the blocking wall.
See (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 06 August 2008.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1829 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PRIESTS HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1829 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. p 704.
<S3>Unpublished document: Gregory, T.. 1981. Human remains found below Roman Catholic Church, Thetford. 16 November 1981.
<S4>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1982. 14175 Thetford. Report by E. Rose 21 April 1982..

Related records

14175Related to: St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and undated burials (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service