Record Details

NHER Number:46105
Type of record:Building
Name:Oak Lodge Farm House, Norwich Walsham Road

Summary

Oak Lodge Farmhouse is an 18th century building, with a major early 19th century extension to the west. The earlier part of the house is of brick and flint with a slate roof, and is constructed on an L-shaped plan in two storeys.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2453 1273
Map Sheet:TG21SW
Parish:SPROWSTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Oak Lodge Farm House, Norwich Walsham Road. Rowston.
Farm house, 18th century, with major early 19th century extension to west. Earlier house of brick and flint, extension of gault brick with slate roof. 'L'-shaped plan of two storeys. 19th century wing faces west. Three bays with central part glazed door and semi-circular portico with fluted Doric columns and plain entablature. Ground floor windows, 20th century in original openings with blind boxes, set in shallow recess with semi-circular heads first floor windows sashes, with glazing bars and flat gauged brick arches. Hipped roof, external stacks.
Information from (S1).

Oak Lodge farm was likely the third site for the Norfolk Agricultural Station, an experimental farm where new methods, crops and machinery were trialed and tested for viability. The site was managed by a committee of local farmers and members of the Ministry of Agriculture, Cambridge University, the Royal Agricultural Society of England and Norfolk County Council. The station was based at around Sprowston from 1925 to 1965 after which it moved to Morley (NHER 34252?) due to local urban development.
NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold HES 26/01/11

Monument Types

  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service