|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two roadside bomb store|
A World War Two roadside bomb store is visible on aerial photographs. This bomb store was part of a large facility that had its headquarters at Earsham Hall (NHER 41375). Other bomb stores were located at Sexton Wood (NHER 41372) and Park's Wood (NHER 41373) to the north of this site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 30385 91028|
|Parish:||EARSHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|HEDENHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 2006. Norfolk NMP
A World War Two roadside bomb storage area is visible on 1945 and later aerial photographs (S1-S2). The central grid reference for this site is TM 3038 9103. A group of concrete hardstandings used for storing bombs were present alongside Whitehouse Lane between Sexton Wood and Park’s Wood. These are part of an extensive USAAF bomb storage facility that had its headquarters at Earsham Hall (NHER 41375) (S3). This site was one of several storage areas located in woodlands and along roads around the hall. Other storage areas were located at Sexton Wood (NHER 41372) and Park’s Wood (NHER 41373).
J. Albone (NMP), 19 June 2006
- BOMB STORE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1945. RAF 106G/UK/930 4088-9 16-OCT-1945 (NHER TM 3091A / TM 3192A). |
|<S2>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1967. OS/67056 111-2 24-APR-1967 (NMR). |
|<S3>||Article in serial: 1973. Airfields of Norfolk and Suffolk. Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. Part 1. vol 1, pp 17-18. |
|41375||Part of: Headquarters camp of a USAAF World War Two bomb storage facility (Monument)|
Find out more...